Biomagnetic Therapy (also known as magnetic therapy, magnetherapy, and magnotherapy) is a 'non-traditional', or alternative method of pain relief, as well as a holistic tool for increased health and vitality. Although the use of magnets for their healing properties has been documented by a wide variety of cultures for thousands of years, 'traditional' or 'western' medical practitioners, particularly in the
, have generally not yet accepted the benefits of magnetic therapy. However, in recent years, biomagnetic therapy has begun to gain some acceptance and credibility among a growing number of doctors as a greater number of successes are reported for patients treated with therapy magnets. United States
There are several theories about how biomagnetic therapy works. The primary basis of these theories relates to the fact that the earth's magnetic field has a significant impact on all living things and that life itself is dependent on magnetic energy. A striking example of this connection was discovered by NASA. The first astronauts to orbit earth outside of the earth's magnetic field returned home sick and weakened. NASA scientists discovered their illness was caused by a lack of magnetism and solved the problem by placing magnets in spacecraft and space suits.
Due to the lack of a large number of double-blind studies, the primary evidence for the success of magnets as healing agents is anecdotal evidence - personal stories of people who got positive results: from as minor as relieving nagging chronic pain to major changes in quality of life. Anecdotal evidence or testimonials are not accepted as scientific proof, but the overwhelming amount of positive anecdotal evidence regarding biomagnetic therapy is compelling. A few recent studies have shown that seven out of ten people who tried magnetic therapy for pain relief achieved significant improvement within five days. There is no guarantee that medical magnets will help any specific individual, but there are also no harmful side-effects.
How does it work?
Magnetism affects the human body through the circulatory system, the nervous system, and the endocrine system. It is constantly penetrating all particles, right down to the atom. Magnetism's ordering effect on living systems arises from the fact that magnetism is a blueprint of life itself. Recent research indicates that magnetism has a very significant biological effect on the human body. Following is a list of the processes believed to take place when the body is exposed to magnetic fields which contribute to pain relief and improved health.
1) Magnetism increases the electrical conductivity of the blood. Weak current runs through the magnetic field and the quantity of ions is increased - the ionized blood circulating throughout the body improves the efficiency of blood flow, as well as stabilizing blood pressure.
2) Blood contains iron, or ferrous hemoglobin, which is a carrier of oxygen and carbon dioxide. As blood circulates through the lungs, fully magnetized ferrous hemoglobin is able to carry more oxygen to cell tissue as well as take more carbon dioxide waste from cells back to the lungs for removal.
3) When tissue is exposed to a magnetic field, a secondary current is created around the flux lines in the cells. This ionizes the protoplasm and energies the cell tissue by activating cell metabolism. Cell functions are strengthened as the cell metabolism responds to the electrical currents initiated by the magnetic field. This current can cause muscle spasms to decrease, as well as decreasing inflammation of tissue. The increase in the cell metabolism aids both new cell growth and cell regeneration.
4) The negative pole energy of a magnetic field interferes with the ability of nerve cells to transmit pain impulses to the brain where the pain is registered. When a negative magnetic field is placed over a nerve, the positively charged ions of the nerve impulse are attracted to the negative magnetic field, thereby impeding the flow of the positively charged ions through the nerves to the brain.
5) Magnetism may work to regulate and/or normalize hormone secretion in the glands. A theory is that the increased electrical current being produced by a magnet forms a 'net' around the glands and secretory ducts. Increased concentration of oxygen stimulates production while the 'net' optimizes secretion. Normalizing the hormone functions within the body affects conditions caused by a hormone imbalance. Hormones are an important factor in rejuvenation and overall energy levels, while proper circulation ensures that hormone levels are distributed evenly through out the body.
Use the form at the top of this page or the links below to search for Biomagnetic Therapy.